Wednesday, July 29, 2009

But to do justly too...

I appreciate your insights and reading recommendations.

So, we are going to begin our 4+ months of nomadic life this Friday. The implied stress of quitting your second job in as many months, signing your home over to complete strangers, naively planning an international transfer with a child under one year and a trusting wife, all based on the desire to surrender your stubborn will to God as you follow what seems like a whisper to some and a shout to others, but none-the-less a call that has lead to more uncertainty than our family has faced to this point in our existence as three may be keeping me up.

Another contributing factor to my insomnia is this question, which has plagued me all day.

What is the difference between Justice and Fairness?

Innately I know there is a difference between something being just (that which is right) and at the same time being fair (free from bias, dishonesty or injustice). But what are the nuances that make these two concepts distinct? I believe in justice being a worthy pursuit of our life's actions and a necessary measure if we are to deem anything good. Fairness conjures different parameters for consideration. It is not only elusive, but also naively sought after as good. Circumstances and people are too unique for all necessary factors to be weighed and returned as fair.

If something is fair does that mean that it is equal?

I have no desire to pursue equality in all things. I do not believe that justice is equal pay for a days work. As I understand justice it dignifies each individual as unique and worthy certain inalienable rights as a human being, but it does not go so far as to divvy up what other privileges one might obtain along the way.

My final question tonight. I will sleep only to hurry the time until I receive all of your intelligent insights.

In seeking justice for the oppressed are we striving to level the playing field or tilt the system in an entirely different direction?
If the later, what is a just direction to lean towards?

No comments: