Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Entry #1

Whisper of the Divine: 
A history of the path to Padraig
It was about 4 years ago that Joy and I were driving home to our townhouse in Multnomah's married student housing in Northeast Portland. The sun was warm on our faces as we drove over highway 84.  I looked at Joy and as I often do shared my internal pondering without insight to the path that brought me to my point.  I am still not sure if I can provide a path to this particular end.  But I noted, "I don't think we will be able to have children of our own."

Joy looked at me and responded, "I was thinking that same thing this weekend."

The curious element in this exchange rests in the fact that neither of us were prepared for or considering the prospect of having children in the near future.  We were able to celebrate the thoughts of adoption and the promise of surrendering control over the unknown.  Until a year ago children were a distant future and an unknown possibility.  Joy and I both remember our conversation on that sunny Portland afternoon and view it as the beginning of our hearts preparation for Padraig.

No comments: