Monday, January 26, 2009

Life Is Battlefield

Life is a battle!

How often do we face that reality in a single day?
Even the best days of my life have been tainted by the ups and downs of emotions, relationship, weather, money, and anything else that can be colored by good and bad.

One of the reasons that there haven't been a lot of recent pictures of Padraig has been the battle that is revealed on his surface.  I didn't realize that I had pulled back from taking pictures until we were doing our evening ritual of lotions, oils and hydration tonight.  His cheeks and head are looking a lot better and I started to think of all of the pictures we should take before he ceases to be a baby and becomes the little boy that is right around the corner.

I say that the battle is worn on his face, because of an habitual wake up ritual that began about a month ago.  We de-swaddle our son and immediately his hands would go to his face.  At first it was cute to watch him have control enough to rub his eyes and stretch and itch.  It stopped being cute when I picked him up and kissed his damp cheek.

I thought to myself, "He wasn't crying"

When I left our room to let Joy sleep I discovered his bloody cheek which he had rubbed raw.  Since then he has scratched and gouged and more often than not worn socks on his hands to lessen the damage.

The current lesson that my son is teaching me is one of wisdom and discipline.  He is not yet able to connect his actions to consequences, but I am.  I say that life is a battle, but how often do I stand my ground and fight?  It seems too regular that I am reactionary or instinctive rather than patient and faithful in the wisdom that I am given.

Our new camera lens arrives in just a couple of days.  We will be posting pictures from Ireland and home as soon as we have them.  I will seek to share intentional shots that portray victory and beauty in a world that is distressed by the waves of bitterness and pride.

We invite you to take a moment and pray what it would mean for you to be patient and faithful.  Please share your stories of hope.  I believe more than ever that this world and the events of our lives are not neutral and I would like to be a soldier amidst an army.

Until then, I will seek to fight humbly for justice and mercy.

1 comment:

vlbandy said...

Hi Joy and Bobby,

Greetings from the great White North! Mom (aunt Kathryn) told me about your baby's eczema. Please know that we've "been there, done that," and I'll be praying for you.

If you'd like to know what helped us, please let me know. To encourage you, our kids are now 10,9, and 8 and all eczema free, except our second who still has it on his ankles.

Much love from MN,

Lynn