Monday, January 12, 2009

Ouch!


We're back.  Thanks to those who encouraged me to keep signing in.  To be honest being able to put thoughts into words is therapeutic and I am often in need of...wait a minute.

I apologize if my pondering become too deep.  Padge wanted to chime in and he is a pretty deep guy.

Last night marked the first game of the "B League" Internationals.  Our soccer team is going places and Padge plans to ride our coat tails to the top.  Anyway, we lost 11-10.  It was a bummer, but the bigger pain came with about 7 minutes left when the other teams goalie intentionally stepped on my knee.  Yikes!

My first response was to tell him about the love of Jesus in his native tongue. (I think that it was French?)

I woke up to a limp and a lot of soreness.  During the replays in my mind my constant response was vengeance.  I couldn't figure it out.  He said sorry after the game.  Our team scored as a direct result to my true reaction which was to get entangled with him as I stood up.  Finally my leg is sore, but in about 5 years time it shouldn't hurt anymore.  (That's a correct estimate for a 30 year old's body to heal, right?)

I am blown away by the reality of grace and redemption.  Last night was a reminder that my personal reaction to blatant disregard concerning self and my well being by others is neither of those.  Thank goodness that I am not in charge of much in life.

The Point: I was pondering the frustration that I encounter at 4:01, 4:09, 4:13, ... in the morning when my son chooses to play rather than sleep.  It is a lot more similar to having my knee stepped on by a stranger than I would like to admit.  I have rights!  I should be respected!  I know how things should work! (These things really do scream in my subconscious)

The truth is, and I am guessing that fatherhood will reveal many more lessons like this one, that when I recognize the giver of grace and redemption those arguments are laid to rest.  Sure, sleep is nice and walking convenient, but I did not create the need or ability for either.  With a smile and a coo our son is teaching me how to be thankful in the midst of both pleasant and trying circumstances.  

He still needs to learn to sleep, but the giver of all things deserves recognition and praise!

PS.  If you are curious about how I respond to the goalie my knee should be healed by March 15th when we play their team next.  You are more than welcome to join us.


No comments: