Thursday, January 8, 2009

Too Long

I am not sure that anyone even checks this blog anymore.  I do apologize for the tardiness of the posting.

Today I spoke with a dad that is going in for his second ultrasound tommorrow.  He and his wife went to their first ultrasound a few months ago only to discover the absence of their baby's heart beat.  Today is a day that he is anticipating, and for all intents and purposes excited about.  I celebrate his choice to find hope in the midst of potentially scary circumstances.

Too often I choose to look at a singular instance and forget the magnificence of the Big Picture.  I value that we live before a God of justice, though I don't always understand the difference between justice and fairness.  More than that I am thankful that we live as the result of a loving God whose intended design is "very good".  

Too often we are reminded of the brokenness of this world which is contrary to what I believe to be God's revealed and intended design.  A common result is a projection of fear, rather than hopeful anticipation of the newness of each day.  My friend faces today with hope, but it is a choice to see this day as new and different than the harder ones that have gone before it.

Joy and I see this tension between hope and brokenness each day as parents of our son, Padraig.  When he wakes it is a day of new possibilities.  His smiles, his ability to track, sitting up (not on his own).  Right now his whole body is revealing the brokenness.  His skin is flaky, his face is scratched and more often than not he has poop in his pants, his stomach is empty and he is tired.

The lesson that I am learning from my son is to choose to return to the innocence that he possesses.  Each time we pick him up from a nap he stretches, rubs his eyes and looks into the eyes of those who care for him and smiles.  Today, along with my son and my friend who are discovering life in new and dynamic ways, I choose hope.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

great reminder! choices can be so hard sometime, but thanks for the challenge.

ratliffs are cool said...

makayla and padgey sittin in a tree...

Jeff said...

I check it :-) nice to keep up with your post - keem 'em coming!